His Name Was Merle: Our Journey Through Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer’s Disease hits many families, leaving them clinging to memories and unsure
of the future. In His Name Was Merle: Our Journey Through Alzheimer’s Disease, I
share the story of my father’s life with Alzheimer’s and the impact on our family.
I try to give you the book I didn’t have, one that captures some of the day-to-day
experiences of our life with Alzheimer’s. This book is a loving collection of memories
of my father and our family, as well as a resource for other families.
In this book, I present, through our story, information you may be wondering about
or not have considered. This includes:
• Care questions you will face early on: Can your loved one be cared for at home?
How do you know when it is time to consider moving your loved on to a specialized
• Issues faced by the primary caretaker.
• Emotional needs of the primary caretaker: What should your family consider when
deciding on the best care options for your loved one?
• Emotions, including guilt or anxiety, over decisions related to the care and treatment
of your loved one.
• Questions to consider when faced with tough end-of-life discussions.